China | 2016 | Color | Drama | 93 min
DCP | Chinese | 24 fps | 16:9 | DOLBY 5.1
In the far mountains of Ningxia province, the old Ma Zishan and his son start mourning his wife. Loved by everyone in the village and the family, the son wants to sacrifice their only bull for her 40 days disappearance ceremony. Zishan isn’t against it, but his sorrow and his love for the old animal make him wonder. Even his prayers and the Imam don’t seem to erase his doubts. Until one morning the old bull stops eating and drinking. Has he seen the knife in the clear water?
FESTIVALS, selective list
- Marrakech IFF 2016, Competition
- Busan IFF 2016, New Currents Competition
- Vancouver IFF 2016, Dragons and Tigers Award for Young Cinema
- Hawaii IFF 2016, Spotlight on China
- Tokyo FILMEX 2016, Competition
- Rotterdam IFF 2017, Limelight Section
- Gøteborg FF 2017, Competition
- HKIFF 2017
- Farj IFF 2017
- FilmFest Munchen 2017
- Marrakech IFF 2016, Best Director Award
- Busan IFF 2016, New Currents Award
- Hawaii IFF 2016, Spotlight on China, nominated for the v Halekulani Golden Orchid Award for Best Narrative Feature, and won 2 prizes: Special Jury Mention - Cinematography and the NETPAC Award
- Asia Pacific Screen Awards 2016, nominated for the UNESCO Cultural Diversity Award
- Beijing International Film Festival 2017
Forward Future Award: Best New Director
- Fajr Film Festival 2017
International Competition - Spiritual Award
- China Film Director's Guild Awards 2017
Special Jury Award
- Chinese Young Generation Film Forum 2016
Jury Award: Best Director
CAST & CREDITS
Beijing Ocean & Time Culture Communication Co., Ltd.
Zhejiang Jiashang Film and Media Co., Ltd.
Xinhuanet Co., Ltd.
Sichuan Branch Ning Xia Ming Dao Culture Development Co., Ltd.
Beijing Bolaa Advertisement Media Co., Ltd.
Blackfin (Beijing) Culture & Media Co., Ltd.