Born in Jakarta, Mouly SURYA (b. 1980, Indonesia) is considered one of the most promising female filmmakers in Indonesia. After graduating from Swinburne University, Melbourne with a BA in Media and Literature, Surya obtained an MA in Film and Television from Bond University, Queensland. In addition to making films, she also teaches a directing class in Jakarta. Her debut film, FIKSI, won numerous awards including Best Director at JIFFEST 2008. It premiered internationally at the 13th Busan International Film Festival.
WHAT THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT LOVE (2013) was her second feature. Before its theatrical run in Indonesia, the film screened at various international film festivals including the Sundance FF, the Hawaii FF and Karlovy Vary FF, among others. The film received the NETPAC Award at the International Film Festival Rotterdam in the Netherlands, was nominated for Best Feature Film at the 2013 Maya Awards, and was also nominated for Favorite Film at the 2014 Indonesian Movie Awards.
MARLINA THE MURDERER IN FOUR ACTS is Mouly’s first international co-production, including partners from France, Malaysia and Thailand. The film premiered at Director's Fortnight in 2017.
- Cannes IFF, Director's Fortnight
WHAT THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT LOVE
(YANG TIDAK DIBICARAKAN KETIKA MEMBICARAKAN CINTA)
- Sundance Film Festival, 2013
- Hawaii International Film Festival, 2013
- International Film Festival Rotterdam, NETPAC Award, 2013
- Hong Kong International Film Festival, 2013
- Terracotta Far East Film Festival, 2013
- Karlovy Vary Film Festival, 2013
- Busan International Film Festival, 2013
- Warsaw Film Festival, 2013
- Cinemanila International Film Festival, 2013
- Créteil International Women's Film Festival, 2014
- Nominated for Best Feature Film at the 2013 Maya Awards and nominated for Favorite Film at the 2014 Indonesian Movie Awards
- Best Director at JIFFEST, 2008
- Busan International Film Festival, 2008