China | 2015 | B & W | Drama | 123 min
DCP | Tibetan language | 24 fps | 1:1.85 | DOLBY 5.1
Tharlo is 40, and has a remarkable memory that allows him to recite Chairman Mao’s little red book. He leaves a quiet life alone in the Tibetan mountains with his hundreds of sheep. But his life turns upside down when he is asked to go to the city to have his photo taken for his first ID card. The photographer sends him to a young and pretty hairdresser who soon shows interest in him and his ponytail. But is she serious when talking about escaping together to Lhasa or Beijing? All he can think about now is the lovely city girl, and his journey to happiness and new discoveries...
FESTIVALS, selective list
- Venice FF 2015, Orizzonti Section
- Busan IFF 2015, A Window on Asian Cinema
- Vancouver IFF 2015, Dragons & Tigers Section
- La Orquidera IFF 2015, International Competition
- Tokyo FILMEX 2015, Competition
- Brisbane Asia Pacific FF 2015, The Journey is the Thing Section
- Black Movie Geneva, 2016
- Gøteborg FF 2016
- HKIFF 2016
- Melbourne IFF 2016
- Asia Pacific Screen Awards Nominations, 2015:
Best Performance by an Actor
Achievement in Cinematography
(Special Mention Winner)
- Golden Horse Awards Nominations, 2015:
Best Feature Film
Best Adapted Screenplay (Winner)
- Tokyo FILMEX, 2015 (Winner):
Student Jury Prize
- International Festival of Asian Cinema, Vesoul, 2016 (Winner):
Cyclo d'or (Grand Prize)
- Five Flavors Film Festival, Warsaw, Poland 2016 (Winner): NETPAC Award
- Faro Island Film Festival 2015
Golden Moon Award: Best Director
CAST & CREDITS
Heaven Pictures (Beijing) Culture & Media Co., Ltd.
Beijing Ocean & Time Culture Communication Co., Ltd.
Beijing YiHe Star Film Production Ltd.
New Heaven Picture (Beijing) Culture & Media Co., Ltd.