Animator, artist, filmmaker
Born in 1985 in Nanchang, LEI Lei graduated from Tsinghua University with a Master’s degree in Animation in 2009. Since then, he has worked as an artist and independent animator.
His works include short animation films THIS IS LOVE (Best Narrative Short Award at Ottawa International Film Festival in 2010), RECYCLED (selected at Annecy Film Festival, Grand Prix of Shorts & Non-Narrative Films at Holland International Animation Film Festival), and many others, which have been selected in numerous international festivals and exhibited in museums.
In 2014 he served on the Jury of Zagreb / Holland International Animation Film Festival, and won the Asian Cultural Council Grant. He has also been selected to attend many artist residencies and fellowship programs, including the ACC Cai Fellowship in New York (2014), Artist Residency Program at Abbaye de Fonteyraud, France (2015), Locarno Summer Academy (2016) or Artist Residency at Macdowell Colony, U.S.A (2016). Since 2017 he is a full time Faculty Member on Experimental Animation of CalArts Film & Video School.
Furthermore, he has had solo exhibitions of his work in Beijing and Austria, and has also been a part of group exhibitions all over the world, in the U.S., Singapore, Netherlands, Canada, and China.
BREATHLESS ANIMALS, his first feature length film, is to premiere at the Berlinale Forum 2019.
In productin, Animation feature
2019, creative documentary, 68min
- Berlinale Forum 2019
I DON’T LIKE THE COMICS YOU DREW
2018, music video, 3min30s
- Best Music Video award at Anifilm Animation Festival
2016, animated short, 5min
- Screened et Annecy Film Festival, Animation Off-limits
BOOKS ON BOOKS
2015, animated short, 7min
- Screened on Zagreb Animation Festival, Official Competition 2016
- Holland Animation Festival, Official Competition 2016
MISSING ONE PLAYER
2015, animated short, 4min 25s
- Fantoche Animation Film Festival, International Competition, 2015.
- Prix Ars Electronica '15, Animation competition. Austrian, 2015.
- Awarded Silver Dove, Intl competition short at DOK Leipzig 2015.
THIS IS NOT A TIME TO LIE
2014, animated short, 3min 30s
- Anima Festival, Official Competition, Brussels 2014
- Holland Animation Film Festival, Official Competition 2015
2013, experimental animated short, 5min 40s
- selected at Annecy Film Festival, Grand Prix of Shorts and Non-Narrative Films
- Grand Prix Shorts and Non-Narrative Films, Holland Animation Festival 2013